Saturday, December 24, 2011

The Bluebook...citation help 2?

Instructions: Correct citations using the current edition of The Bluebook. Please use the form for court documents and legal memopanda. Please provide any missing information. Use the regional reporters for the state citations unless instructed otherwise.





Barack Obama and Joseph Biden, et. al. versus John McCain and Sarah Palin, found in volume 78 of the South Western Reporter, second series, ad page 723, decided in a Texas Supreme Court in 2005. Assume this as a “stand-alone” citation





This is what I came up with.





"Obama v. McCain, 78 S.W.2d, 723 (Tex. 2005)."





Any feedback would be great!


Thank you.|||You know that the case name has to be underlined or in italics, right? (I know Answers doesn't allow this function.) The entire citation would NOT be enclosed in quotation marks.





There would be no comma after 2d. A comma would only appear AFTER the 723 if you were referring to a specific page: 78 S.W. 2d 723, 725





Double check to see if "Obama" "McCain" would need to be followed by et. al. I believe you are correct. MY Blue Book says you are correct. But my Blue Book is a 17th edition - and frankly, I'm afraid to know what edition the most current version is.|||That looks fine to me. I don't see anything wrong. You got the case the volume, the district and the state and year so I guess unless there's something in the 19th ed. that has changed it, I think that's right. Guess you'll find out when you turn it in.



EDIT: Oh, the first poster has sharp eyes! Yea, no comma there. Just take it out and leave one space.

No comments:

Post a Comment