Tuesday, December 20, 2011

In Massachusetts do you have to pay for excise tax on a leased car?

is there a tax break on luxury cars?


How is the excise amount determined, I understand it is $25 per $1000, but is based on the bluebook value of the car or on how much you owe?|||I asked the Assessor's office in my town of Auburn, MA about how the value is determined.





It is based on the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) when the car was new. The value is reduced for depreciation ( I think over 5 years) to a minimum amount that stays at that level.





The only tax breaks on cars that I know of are the credits for alternate fuel vehicles.





If you use your car for business and depreciate it, you are actually penalized because there is a limit to the maximum depreciation that you can claim (you depreciate less than the business % of your cost.)





I have never leased a car, but I believe that the excise tax is included in your lease payment.





Ironically, I once had 3 cars, a 2000 Chevy Malibu, a 1996 Plymouth Voyager Minivan and a 1993 Mercury Sable. Even though the Sable was the oldest, it had (and will always have) the highest excise tax of the three vehicles even though it was the oldest.

No comments:

Post a Comment